As with any well-laid plans: mine went awry. I mismeasured pieces I had intended to nest together. It took much longer to explain the process and steps than I had anticipated, and we didn’t get to all the topics I had planned. Some of the pieces were more irregular than I realized, and so our accordion pages did not align well with the book boards. Glue sticks, which I chose to use for ease and speed, were hardly sticky enough, and we might have done better with some brushes and Elmer’s, though, I had been attempting to avoid the mess and clean-up, given the short hour of instruction time. I also brought examples with me of books that I use for my own instruction as well as others that offer inspiration. Going through possible ways to express oneself via the construction or deconstruction of a book could have taken one entire hour, and we didn’t even get to those things at all.
I don’t really share this in a self-deprecatory way, because I think that most effort yields far more fruit than waiting for perfection ever does. And, having taught, I now possess a more complete knowledge of what planning is necessary, and what I might change next time. There will always be something to improve, no matter how prepared I am.
Overall, I enjoyed observing students interact with books and their myriad possibilities. Watching creativity and discovery unfold is inspiring, and I hope to have provided some practical tools, and laid a foundation of curiosity in regards to paper and books.